Thursday, March 10, 2016


BE PROUD or BE-LOVED

I woke up not to the familiar chirping sounds of songful birds
this morning’s dew washes my drowsy eyes to see 
something I seemed to have missed all along.
that thin fine line between good old self-esteem and everything else
shades of grey line that fades in scales to almost white
even visible across the tinted blue sky of the morning mist
clouding the shy rising sunlight but still
I see this difference in the light of my own reality

So hear a revealed truth you can trust

It matters how you see yourself
but to esteem self is treading on dangerous grounds
you think highly of yourself, you’ll puff up
like Lucifer as if another name for ‘a heart lifted up’
God's love expressed in perfect beauty lifted him so
thinking himself to be like God, scorns the love of the highest
and winds up a fallen star in the depth for the lowest.
'cause his head swelled when he looked to himself than to He who made him

It matters how you see yourself
you think low of yourself, you'll miss it too
comparing yourself to everyone else and yourself
thinking yourself to deserve better
like Lucifer as if another name for 'lying farther’
lied to himself, said he deserved a seat in the highest heaven
even far above the Most High
but fell down to the abyss into the lowest depth

It matters how you see yourself
see self-esteem wears countless masks
of different shades of grey that hues in scales to black
for 'Low' or 'High' on scale are one and the same
that’s why no one knows how many shades of grey exist
see self-esteem is too thin a line to balance on, so fall you must
and whichever side you fall on, you’ll get injured
To one, injured pride mask itself as ‘arrogance’
To another, injured pride mask itself as false ‘humility’
and say you don't fall, to steady balance is to stay self-absorbed.

It matters how you see yourself
you’ll see also that how you see others
is a reflection of how you see yourself
and self-esteem reflections are subjective
psychologists and sociologists say
it is the emotional evaluation of self-worth –
so you’ll either see yourself as beauty or the beast
depending on which side of the bed you wake
perhaps, depending where on the scale you fall
so that others become the mirror on your wall
and whichever angle you look from, you’ll get distorted
to one, distorted view mask itself as superiority complex
to another, distorted view mask itself as inferiority complex
and to get a good reflection is to stay self-centred or perplexed


It matters how you see yourself
see now, I see no place for SELF-esteem
for who could know and love me more than God
seems I should only see myself as God sees me
-     as being loved by Him
the only see-cure way to see me, to see you and everything else
so this day as it dawns on me in the ‘breaking’ of day
I ask for mercy for the light I’ve missed all along
for all along I’ve seen the worst in you as it was all I'd seen in me
but I esteem you now for I see clearly how God sees you

-      His Beloved.

Original poem by me. Photo credits: My friend R.Fulconis took this picture of a Masai girl in Kenya
Scripture reference: Isaiah 14: 12-17; Ezekiel 28: 1-19; Philippians 2:3; Romans 1:21-23

No comments:

Post a Comment